Your car’s brakes work hard. And the job they do is critical to your safety. That’s why it’s so important for you to be aware of how your brakes work, and to be alert for signs that your brakes need maintenance. Here you’ll find an overview of braking systems, and tips to help you know when it’s time for brake service. No matter what your brake system needs, Kwik Kar is here to help make sure your car is functioning precisely.
Today’s braking systems are composed of a number of integral parts all working together to ensure that your vehicle stops properly. Generally speaking, by depressing the brake pedal, you are telling the master cylinder to compress brake fluid, which in turn sends hydraulic pressure through brake lines that activate your vehicle’s brake pads (or shoes). These pads then make contact with spinning rotors (or drums), slowing down or stopping the vehicle. More complex systems use sensors to activate the brake system, but the desired effect is the same.
Below are some of the common questions you should ask yourself concerning your vehicle’s brake system:
- Is your brake warning light on when driving?
- Is your brake fluid low, or appear very dirty?
- Do you hear a grinding sound or a squealing sound when you apply the brake pedal?
- Do you feel a pulsation or some sponginess in the brake pedal when it is depressed?
- Does your vehicle steer or pull to one side when braking?